Saturday, August 07, 2004

On the Road - Muskogee Farmer's Market


Muskogee Farmer's Market 4 of 7
Originally uploaded by Monty42.
Well, today was the last show on my calendar for quite a while. I'm going to take a little vacation and then I'll be starting on some projects at home (more on that soon I'm sure). This will be a welcome change of pace from near constant performing over the past four months!

I was in Muskogee today at the farmer's market behind the library. The weather was perfect! Warm, but not hot, with a nice breeze. I was in the shade of the tent, with my new Bose sound system gently spreading sound in all directions. I could really tell a difference with it outside - folks could hear more clearly and that makes a big difference with my songs which are all so lyric oriented.

But the best thing about the morning was the crowd - I had a very attentive crowd, which is rare at an outdoor event. Parents and kids alike were participating and having fun. I did two 50 minute sets and one 30 minute set and in all that time only repeated one song (Grandma's House Tonight). I really enjoyed streching a bit and singing a few songs I hadn't done in a while. It was a very fun gig!

I also met "Honky Da Clown" who was on hand making balloon sculptures for the kids. He is based there in Muskogee. If you ever get a chance to see him, go for it - he's amazing with balloons. He takes the art and craft of balloon sculpture quite seriously, as I do the with children's song lyrics. I saw him do things with balloons I've never seen before. Very cool.

I also met up with an old friend - if you've seen my scrapbook online, one of my favorite photos shows me at the Muskogee library with a two year old fan and we are both wearing our cowboy outfits. The theme that summer was western. Well today, six years later, we met up again. I got to sign a copy of that original photo, and we took a new one together. Fun, fun fun!

Thanks to the Muskogee Area Arts Council and the Oklahoma Arts Council for making this one possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment