Monday, March 07, 2005

On the Road in Ft. Worth, TX - Part 1

Today through Wednesday I have six schools in the Fort Worth area. This is my annual trip down (third year now) for John Prevost of Rainbow books. He hires me to perform as a thank-you to some of his best customers. (He sells books to school libraries.)

This morning we were at Peaster Elementary in Peaster, TX and this afternoon we were at Eagle Mountain Elementary in Ft. Worth, with about 400 kids in each group.

At Peaster I performed in a huge gym with big blank parallel cinderblock walls. Needless to say the sound bounced around in there like mad. John commented that he could tell how much better the sound is with the new Bose system as compared to the more traditional sound system I had last year. In that big gym, that's saying alot!

The kids (K-5th) were very enthusiastic, with lots of cheers and hoots and whistles after every song. Many of them had heard the CDs in class ahead of time. We did "Jungle Junk" (by request), "Take Me to Your Library," "The Brainiacs," "Lisa Lee Elizabeth" (a fav of John's), "Grandma's House Tonight," "Hanging With Heroes" (great clappers!), and "Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet."

At Eagle Heights the group was kindergarten through 3rd grade. It was mighty warm in the room, and I'm not sure we ever quite got completely quiet, but the kids were good participaters. We did "Take Me to Your Library," "Lisa Lee Elizabeth," "Silly Song," "Library Bookaneers," "The Great Green Squishy Mean Bibliovore," "Hanging With Heroes," and "Trick or Treat." I used the concertina for "Library Bookaneers" which helped draw their attention back after the chaos of the "Silly Song."

Before I left home I burned a disk of all the mixes for the new CD as they currently stand and I listened in the car last night on the way down. It's sounding good - this is the first time since the shows in November that I've heard all the songs back to back. It's coming along, sounding good - I can't wait to get it done and get it out there!!

Hi Lisa! Hi Evalyn! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment