Thursday, August 02, 2007

First Day of Kindergarten / Woolaroc




DON'T TOUCH THE LLAMA!

XM Kids fans will get that little joke. I am in fact touching the llama in this photo, and Evalyn is touching a pony above, and above that, Evalyn is posing with her Paw Paw and Grandma at the entrance to the Woolaroc museum, where we spent the day today.

Woolaroc, near Bartlesville, was originally built in the 1920s as a wilderness retreat for oilman Frank Phillips, founder of Phillips 66. Now it is a western art/culture/history/taxidermy museum, which includes a petting zoo among other stuff. You can find out more here: Woolaroc Website.

Evalyn's grandparents had offered to take her somewhere fun for a day before school starts in a couple of weeks. She chose Woolaroc from a pretty long list of possibilities. It was her first visit, and my first since childhood. Oddly enough the one thing I remember most vividly is the candy rocks you can buy in the gift shop. We came home with a bag. They look just like rocks, but they taste more like jelly beans.

(My apologies to you if you received a post by email that was just the photos. I kind of slipped up posting this. But here, now you have the fascinating commentary to go along with the photos!)

Hey, I have a reader who is getting ready for his first day of kindergarten (yep, that's you - you know who you are!) and maybe feeling a bit nervous about it. I went online to look for a song about this, but I found something even more interesting: Dozens and dozens of parents have posted video of their kindergartener's fist days on YouTube.

This is pretty cool because you can see what that first day is like for different kids and how they feel about it. It can give you a lot to talk about and think about and compare. I don't recommend any kid visiting YouTube on their own, but with Mom or Dad showing the way, these videos can maybe be very helpful.

Let me know what you think! Here's the link: First Day of Kindergarten on YouTube.

Oh, and if you know of a good song about this, let me know and I'll pass it along!

No comments:

Post a Comment